Terry Mason's Family History Site

Major lines: Allen, Beck, Borden, Buck, Burden, Carpenter, Carper, Cobb, Cook, Cornell, Cowan, Daffron, Davis, Downing, Faubion, Fauntleroy, Fenter, Fishback, Foulks, Gray, Harris, Heimbach, Henn, Holland, Holtzclaw, Jackson, Jameson, Johnson, Jones, King, Lewis, Mason, Massengill, McAnnally, Moore, Morgan, Overstreet, Price, Peck, Rice, Richardson, Rogers, Samuel, Smith, Taylor, Thomas, Wade, Warren, Weeks, Webb, Wodell, Yeiser.


Selected Families and Individuals

Source Citations

Thomas Potts Jr

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=90612593. "Thomas Potts, Jr. was the husband of Mary Borden Potts and father of the Rev. Joshua Potts and William Potts (William also buried in this cemetery). He was the son of Thomas Potts, Sr. and Joani Platts Potts, both born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England. Thomas was buried February 4, 1754. He is also believed to have been married to Mary Records, with whom he had the following children; Ann, Mary, Nathaniel, Richard, Thomas and Rebecca Potts. Lastly Thomas was said to have married Rebecca Stacy Wright, widow of Joshua Wright." Image.

Mary Borden

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=93069435. "Mary Borden Potts, wife of Thomas Potts who is buried in Bordentown, NJ. Mother of Rev. Joshua Potts and Patriot William Potts. Mary's headstone is no longer visible." Image.

Alexander Porter McKenzie

11850 U.S. Census, M432_208 pg 45B, 13 Aug 1850. "McKenzie, A.P. 56 M Tavern keeper Delaware
-------, Nancy 37 F Kentucky
-------, James 12 M Kentucky
-------, Edward 9 M Kentucky
-------, Mary 7 F Kentucky
-------, E. A. 5 F Kentucky
-------, M.H. 3 F Kentucky
-------, Wm 1 M Kentucky
Welch, S. D. 25 M Physician
White Levin 40 M School Teacher Maryland
Padgett, Martha 40 F Ireland."

Catherine Doudle Yeiser

1Yeiser Bible, Nancy Housewright, 9424 Trail Hill Dr., Dallas, TX  75238. "HOLY BIBLE printed and sold by Collins and Co. 1814." photocopy in possn of T.Mason filed - Capt Philip Edward Yeiser.

Philip E. Yeiser

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=74448731. Image.

Mary Ann Pinckard

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=95486253. Image.

Augusta W. Pinckard

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=74448876. Image.

Margaret Yeiser

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=74448939. Image.

Ferdinand Pinckard

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Pinckard&GSiman=1&GScid=1605234&GRid=. Image.

Dan Pinckard

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=74449396. Image.

Capt. Alexander Scott McGrorty

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=45344080. Image.

Rose Barbee Yeiser

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=45344168. Image.

Sarah Bradford McGroty

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82149538. Image.

Mary Jane McGrorty

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82149537. Image.

Frederick William McGrorty

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82149534. Image.

Alexander Scott McGrorty Jr.

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82149533. Image.

Lucille B. McGrorty

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82149536. Image.

James Joseph McGrorty

1FindaGrave.com, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82149535. Image.

Col James Garrard M. Yeiser

1Georgia, Floyd County 1860 AIS Census Index. page 191, Rome District, ID#GA3701600C.

2Harrodsburg Historical Society, Mexican War Soldiers (Harrodsburg Historical Society, 1997), 1846, Mercer County, Kentucky. "From The Mercer Co. KY Area James G. Yeiser, Pvt., Enlisted 1 Pvt. 1846, Danville, KY, Unit 9."

3Ellen Johnson, Yeiser , A Narriative History of, 1846. Furnished To Howard Yeiser
by Joyce Marie (Johnson) Farrell. "KENTUCKY
During the first half of the 18th Century while the 13 colonies under the British flag were growing and prospering along the Atlantic coast the vast territory south of the Ohio river was the homeland of many Indian tribes. There they lived, hunted and occasionally encountered each other in bloody conflict. No permanent settlement existed within the area. The dark forests, cane thickets and great grassy open space separated the Cherokees, Creeks and Catawba Indian tribes from the hostile tribes of Shawnees, Delawares and Wyndots of the north. All these tribes disputed and fought fiercely for their hunting rights. The Indians called it a "Dark and Bloody Ground."

But it is certain that these were not the original occupants of the country lying between the Allegheny mountains and the Mississippi river. Ancient monuments speak in a language not to be mistaken of the civilization which preceded the rude tribes encountered by Daniel Boone in 1769 and previously by John Finley in 1767. These men have become the prototype on which we have built the image of our American pioneer.

By the end of the Revolution, Daniel Boone had explored and rudely laid out the Wilderness Trail through Cumberland Gap into the heart of this country claimed by the State of Virginia. The weary travelers came along this trail by foot,  on horseback and in covered wagons.

In 1775 Kentucky was formed into a country by the legislature of Virginia and became entitled to a separate county, justices of the peace, a sheriff, constables, coroner, and militia officers. The Law for the first time reared its head in the forests of Kentucky. The court had scarcely withdrawn when the settlers were subjected to a fierce attack by indians and had to take refuge behind the walls of the nearest "Station." (Specified pioneer dwellings were fortified and called "Stations.") There were many fatal incidents and some of the early settlers lost their lives within a short distance from the safety of their Station.

In the spring of 1780 Kentucky County was divided into Fayette, Lincoln and Jefferson counties; each one had a county court with limited jurisdiction. In 1783 by act of Virginia legislature, Kentucky a District with its own Supreme Court. The Court was organized at Harrodsburg on March 4th. As there were no adequate accommodations there, the attorney general of the District with a clerk was appointed to secure an adequate and safe place for holding the court sessions in neighborhood of the station known as John Crow's Station.(Order book 1, pp 10-11, Sup. Ct. Ky. Dist.)

In Oct. 1781 Cornwallis surrounded and the war of the Revolution was over. Then followed the western movement into the wonderlands of Kentucky which were pioneered during the war years.

In this saga of America life is the story of one branch of an early American family; each generation seeking to make its own place as it pushed its way across the continent.

From Culpepper, Virginia veteran John Barbee, descendant of a Haghenout immigrant family, with his wife Phyllis and several children took to the wilderness trail. This family alone would have made quite a wagon train for there were six grown sons, all veterans, by a first wife, Elizabeth Welsh. The youngest boy, Elias enlisted at the age of 14 years. (Archive records Washington, D.C.)

Also along this trail came John Bradford, and his brother Enoch, who according to records in Washington, was present at the surrender of Cornwallis.

At Stoney Point about three miles north of the present site of Danville, Ky. on the Lexington Road the Barbees built their first home of stone, strong enough to withstand any force of roving indians until help could arrive. "Old John" as he was affectionately called in the community, lived and spent his years here. In his will he left the property to his wife Phyllis, for as long as she lived. (Page 14 Historical homes of Boyle Co., Ky. by Calvin M. Fackler, 1959.) From the picture the house has the appearance of a story and a half. In reality there was a basement equal in area to the first floor and an upper story in which dormer windows were  added by a later owner.

The Barbee family were well established at Stoney Point by 1784 when the attorney general, Walker Daniels of the Kentucky Superior Court Dist. purchased the site of Danville for John Crow, pioneer, as authorized by the court at Harrodsburg. It was now the most important town site in Kentucky and this called for adequate housing to accommodate representatives and those attending the session. Col. Thomas, the elder Barbee son, played a prominent part in the business affairs of Danville. His first venture seems to have been part ownership of Grayson's Tavern. (Records from pension Archives, Washington, D.C.) There the political Club held its first meeting and had their dinners. The second tavern about the town source was also run by Thomas Barbee. It was located upon lot 38 purchased by "Col. Thomas Barbee on June 27, 1788 for 5 lbs.(Deed Book A, p. 429 Sup. Ct. Ky. Dist. ).

The Tavern is described as a large double log. The Bradford family had settled near Lexington. Enoch, and Fielding Bradford, married daughters of John Barbee, Rose, and Elenor, respectively. Rose died at the birth of her first child, Lucinda Bradford. About 1788 Enock married Mary Chinn, nee Metcalf, daughter of former Governor Metcalf of Kentucky. They had a large family.

Lucinda lived most of her life in her grandfather Barbee's home at Stoney Point. She visited in the home of her father and step-mother.  Rose Bryce of Wooster, Ohio, one of her great grand-daughters, has a lovely chest of drawers with glass handles (which she brought home after a visit.) Lucinda is mentioned in John Barbee's will.

It was about the year 1788 that Philip Yeiser, 4th child, 3rd son of a Pennsylvania immigrant Frederick Yeiser, moved his family of several children to Kentucky from Maryland.  (Pennsylvania Archives Vol XVII Second Series - List of foreigners imported in the ship St. Andrew - gratified Oct. 7, 1743 from Rotterdam - Robert Brown - Frederick Yeiser, age 20 yrs.)

Philip had married Catherine Doudel, also from Pennsylvania, in 1775. A newspaper article of the period describes the marriage as an elopement and quite a romantic affair. (Rose Bryce who read the article and joined the DAR on the Doudel record.)  Three sons, one daughter of the immigrant Frederick Yeiser, Englehart Elizabeth, Frederick and Philip made their home in Baltimore, Maryland before the Revolution. Among old papers from a trunk belonging to my Grandmother, Ellen Araminta (Marshal) Yeiser, which has survived through the years, I find a copy of the "Fac Smile reprint" of the Maryland Journal of Aug. 20, 1773. In it there is a marked item regarding the marriage of Englehart Yeiser  to Catherine Keener: Married; Mr. Englehart Yeiser to Miss Catherine Keener, daughter of Melchior Keener, both of this place. By the late marriage in St. Mary's, the Lady is become sister-in-law to her own mother, and the Gentleman, son-in-law to his sister-in-law."

In the Maryland Archives reference is made to Fredrick Yeiser, 2nd Lieut. in a Maryland Co., one of four which complemented four Pennsylvania Companies to form a German Battalion. The German regiment was regarded as one of the sixteen additional regiments raised under Resolution of Congress 27, Dec., 1776.

The name of Philip Yeiser appears in Hodges Unpublished War Records of Maryland as a resident of Baltimore who took Oath of Fidelity to the State of Maryland on 16th Jan., 1778. (Information from Maryland Historical Society.)

The Yeisers had been prosperous in Baltimore and Philip had acquired considerable land. Upon making the decision to go west to the much talked of new lands of Kentucky which were now opened by the Government in land grants to veterans of Revolution, Philip leased his property in Baltimore for 99 years. Its value was trifling at the time and but little attention was given to it. The leases were purchased with rent payments for 21  years. Nothing was done about the payments, papers were lost and only the myth remains that practically the heart of Baltimore once belonged to the Philip Yeiser estate. The family arrived in Danville about 1790. My Great Grandfather Fredrick the 4th son was then six years old. Philip purchased a tract of land from John Crow in 1795 (Deed Book 4 p. 7, Mercer Co., Ky.)

The sheet containing the body of deed is missing from the records, but when John Yeiser, the youngest son inherited the property and sold it there is a description (Deed book 23, p. 424 Mercer Co.) which shows the tract ran from the present Third Street with the north side (as now) of Lexington Avenue.  It formed an almost perfect Parallelogram. All Danville above Lexington Ave. and east of Third once formed a part of the Yeiser farm. Mr Yeiser was largely interested in tanning and his hemp walk is still remembered in Danville. The beautiful old colonial house with its spacious grounds at 135 West Lexington Ave is still known as the Philip Yeiser House. It was the first ambitious attempt at a mansion in Danville. The old knocker that was once attached to the front door bore the date 1808. The house and grounds have been well cared for. It is the handiwork of the Scotch Architects and builders, Robert Sr. and Robert Jr. Russel. (Danv1-The Russels, Master Builders.) This family with its skill in building was a welcome addition to the frontier town in which the homes and builders were composed almost entirely of log structure. They came to Danville in 1792.

In the pioneer days the settlers received communications from the world by devious routes; the post rider who delivered the Kentucky Gazette from Lexington or by anyone who happened to be making the journey over the wilderness trail. On March 21, 1892, John Bradford announced that the act establishing Post Offices and Post Roads through the U.S. had been passed. The Philadelphia date was Jan. 29th. Danville was chosen for the first U.S.  Post Office west of the Alleganies. Thomas Barbee was commissioned Post Master and served in that capacity until his death, in 1797. The first post office building was a small log structure on Walnut St. owned  by Col. Joshua Barbee, (6-5 linage.) Daniel Barbee,( 4-3 linage,) also served as post master for many years.

The Barbees and the Yeisers played a leading roll in the building of this charming community in the heart of the Kentucky Blue Grass. Their names appear as sponsors of academics, libraries, churches and in business ventures. (See "Early Days of Danville.")

Col. Joshua Barbee comes down in history as one who clung to the old life and ways. He was a very elegant and courtly gentleman, and adhered to the old-style dress of ruffled shirts, knee breeches, silk stockings and silver shoe-buckles. (Political Club, p. 84) He was a member of the Political Club of which the proceedings were discovered by chance in a cluttered drawer of an old desk by a grandson of the secretary of the club after 88 years. Among those listed, Apr. 29, 1787 were Stephen Ormsby and Joshua Barbee. The first meeting place of the club was in Thomas Barbee's Tavern. (A log building.)

The four years it was in existence the club was of great influence in the community as may be seen by some of the conclusions drawn; such as, "The Indian tribes have exclusive right to the territory claimed by them, by the virtue of the laws of nature and nations." Also, "That they cannot be deprived without their own consent to the exclusive right to the territory claimed by them." (Political Club, p. 118)

Col. Joshua's name also appears on the membership roll of the Kentucky Society for Promoting Useful Knowledge, which was organized in Lexington with a widely scattered membership. Most of the old citizens of Danville, although always ready to fight were contented to live a life of ease, with enough slaves to cultivate and farm the land. Col. Barbee was out in 1791, when he went as an ensign in the W Campaign in Captain Brown's Company, composed of Danvillians. (Collins, p. 367.) The Statley old mansion owned by Thomas Barbee and later by Col. Joshus is still known in Danville as the Barbee Mansion.

Elias, who enlisted at the tender age of 14 to fight the British took  up land in Green River County. There he too became a prominent citizen and was elected to the State Senate.

The last Constitutional Convention was held in Danville in April 1792 at which time Kentucky became.

It was the beginning of the 19th Century and Danville was no longer a pioneer outpost. The early settlers had extensive Kentucky land grants in payment for war services. (See excerpts from "Old Ky. Entries & Deeds by Willard Rouse Jillson, State Geologist of Ky.) The settlers belonging to various faith, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Baptist, Catholic and Methodist had gathered in their small groups to hold meetings.

Two of the fine old churches built by the efforts of this generation in Danville are on Main St. The Old First Presbyterian and the ivy covered Episcopalian church are still being used,1969,like monuments to the past.

Those of the Episcopal faith held a meeting and pledged themselves to support a Protestant Episcopal Church and its minister in the town of Danville, Ky,; present were, James Birney, John Yeiser, E. McDowell, Frederick Yeiser, John Finley, Philip Yeiser, Sen. Daniel Yeiser and Thomas Barbee. Another list of 29 names followed. The first trustees in which group there were Yeisers and one Barbee bought a portion of lot 14, which property the congregation has owned to the present date. The committee agreed to begin to build as soon as $1500 had been subscribed. James Birney was called to the chair and John Yeiser was appointed secretary. Meanwhile they met in the square with Dr. Daniel Yeiser, lay reader, read the services in the jail. They found this a convenient starting place.

James Birney, chosen as their first leader was a profound disbeliever in slavery. He and his young wife had gone to Madison Co., Alabama in 1819, where he had been deeply interested in African colonization for the negro. When he realized that he would meet with no success there, he decided to go to Kentucky, a border state where he hoped to meet with more success. He felt that if the border state could be turned against slavery,  the cotton country would not be strong enough to stand for it.

A semi public school was started in 1806, an academy fund was raised in 1819 and to all of these civic endeavors the Yeisers and Barbees names appear in subscription of generous amounts. Hon. Elias Barbee, State Senator from Green River Co., Ky. introduced in the Senate a bill for a State supported school for the deaf on Oct. 26, 1822. It was the first state supported institution of the sort in the U.S., and naturally it was located in Danville, the home town of the sponsor, also being centrally located.

The school was placed under the control of the Trustees of Centre College which institution was originally set up as an Academy. Funds for this College was partially financed by the sale of remaining public lands in Danville. In the early days of the 19th century Kentuckians did not hesitate to set up lotteries as a substitute for taxing to raise necessary money for improvements and schools.

In 1812 the County was aflame with patriotism and most of the citizens of Kentucky were well trained in the ways of war of that day. Joshua Barbee took command of a regiment of Kentucky Militia composed of companies from the surrounding counties. They were assigned mostly to guard duty and often had to make long marches in rain and mud, poorly equipped and many times on half rations. The loudest complaints seemed to be heard when no whiskey ration was available. In October Col. Barbee's men were assigned to duty at Fort Defiance to clean the road and guard the cattle. An unfortunate incident is recorded: "Col. Barbee broke his cane over one of Captain Sherley's (Shelby) men because he refused to march. This made him considerably unpopular with the soldiers and many of the officers. (Early days of Danville - Capt. Taul's Journal - A Century of Wayne County by Mrs.  Augusta Phillips Johnson.)

Frederick Yeiser one of the young generation of this period was a volunteer in the Kentucky Militia at this time. The records show that he was discharged in Indiana. (National Archive Records Yeiser 55941-120-55 war of 1812.)

Many attempts were made to establish a newspaper in Danville, among others the "Olive Branch" in 1820. The publisher had been active in New England and chose Danville for his new location. Excerpt from editors note: " Danville is beautifully situated on an elevated plain in the center line of the State, where ten mails arrive each week. The papers from Washington City arrive in ten days and from Frankfort the same day of publication."

The Olive branch file for the year of 1820 is very nearly complete.  Social items were conspicuously lacking with the exception of one or two; such as the marriage of Captain Frederick Yeiser to Miss Lucy Bradford, which happy event came off Dec. 2, Dr. Samuel K Nelson officiating. (Official records show Nov. 29, taken from Frederick Yeiser's family Bible.)

Lucinda Bradford was past 35 when the man she had been engaged to for many years finally claimed her hand. In her grand-daughter's home she was one of the large family which was keenly interested and active in the affairs of the community. She learned the skills the women of that period passed from generation to another. In the home of one of her Great-grand- daughters, Rode Bryce, I saw a silk shawl made by her. She raised the silk worms, spun the silk and wove it into the garment.

She was an accomplished horsewoman and is said to have carved her initials in the stone of the Natural Bridge of Virginia. (The Lee Hwy. U.S. 11 now passes the Natural Bridge.)

John Barbee passed away when Lucy was 19, she is mentioned in his will.

There must have been quite a gay time in Danville in 1820, and especially in the gracious Yeiser home at 135 West Lexington Ave., because that was the year that three of the sons established homes of their own.

Capt. Frederick Yeiser married Lucinda Bradford Nov. 29, 1820 Adam Reigart Yeiser married Susan Catherine Walker, July 18 - - -

Dr. Daniel Carpenter Yeiser took Catherine Samuel as his bride Sept. 20 -

Only John remained at home and he married Malvina Clark on June 15, 1837.

Phillip Yeiser passed away in 1833 in the terrible cholera epidemic which swept the County in that year. The home property was inherited by John.

Lucinda and Frederick had a family of three children: Rosa, born 1821, James Garrard, born 1826 and Joshua who died in infancy. For 25 yrs. they lived in the brick home, described in "Early Days in Danville" as located at the foot of 1st. St. hill. Jonathan Nichols who had come to Kentucky from Rhode Island when about twenty years old, purchased a large tract of land from Philip Yeiser and located his home at Main and 1st. to be near his friend. There was much intercourse between the two homes which were about one hundred yards apart.

Among those playmates who went between the brick house on the hill and the comfortable old log were at least two who would become aged citizens of Danville, they were Rose Barbee Yeiser, later to be known as the venerable Mrs. Scott McGrority and little "Black Johnnie" Nicholes, so designated to identify his from his red headed cousin for the benefit of the good old post-master, Daniel Barbee. (Early Days in Danville.)

James Garrard Yeiser, (namesake of James Garrard, past Governor of Ky.) his name appears on the roll of Centre College in 1839. Those were busy and happy days in Danville while Rose and James were growing up. The only souvenir I have from that Kentucky home were cared for by my grandmother, Ellen Araminta (Marshell) Yeiser (4-D-101-3,) of Rome, Ga. They consist of an oil painting of Lucinda, in later years, wearing a white muslin cap. This painting was made from daguerreotype which still hangs in the home of Rose Bryce. (now with Joyce Farrell, Mrs. Johnson's daughter) The other antique is a delicate hand made silver teaspoon; dented by many baby teeth.  A script "Y" is etched on the handle.

In 1837 Alexander Scott McGrority came to America at the age of 17. He obtained a position as a book-keeper in a wholesale drug firm in Lexington.  His proficiency attracted the attention of a Danville druggist  who offered him a better salary than the Lexington firm was paying. Captain McGrority became a fixture in the town where he lived to be nearly a centenarian. His own business dates as far back as 1841, when his advertisement appeared in the Clarion (a local paper) of Oct. 6, of that year. Another in the Tribune of Sept. 1, 1843 shows that in addition to drugs and school books which he handled for over sixty years, he sold groceries.

On Oct. 24, 1842 he was married to "Miss Rose," daughter of Frederick Yeiser. The ceremony was performed in the Episcopal Church by the Rev. John Alexander Adams. One year later Alexander Scott built their home "The Pines." The roomy old dwelling which stood at Main and Wilderness Road. It still stands, but now so enveloped by the McGrorty Apartments as to be un-distinguishable. The Pines faced Main St. while the remodeled building fronts east. (According to Mrs. W. E. Bryce, daughter of the McGrorty's and Mrs Henry Jackson, grand-daughter of David Bell of Danville.)

Capt. McGrority was a stout Episcopalian and served as a Vestryman ar Trinity Church for seventy-four years. He was Capt. of a local military Company which he organized. When he finally retired in 1907, his was one of the last old-fashioned apothecary shops with a fascinating window filled with bottles and flasks of vary-colored liquids.

Miss Rose's young brother, James was still in his teens when events took place which influenced the course of his future life. His sister's marries to a young business man brought him in close touch with the advantage of the old fashioned drug store in combination with a variety of retail items. His father died in 1845, and war with Mexico was declared.

According to Washington D. C. Archive records, James G. Yeiser served as a Sergeant in Capt. Fry's Company, 2nd. Kentucky infantry. William McGrority, Capt. Scott's brother was also a member of Company "D", 2nf. Ku., Infantry. He kept a personal diary of the Company's trip from Louisville to Texas. Rose Bryce has this original document and is transcribing it into readable shape. It will no doubt shed an interesting light on this trip down the Mississippi. (According to Mrs. W. E. Brace, daughter of the McGrorty's and Mrs Henry Jackson, granddaughter David Bell of Danville.) See wills of "John Barbee," - "Daniel Barbee," filed under wills.

Reuben Ross.  Records in the Adjutant General's office, Washington D.C. show that on July 20, 1776 Ruben Ross, enlisted as a private in Capt.  Alexander Smith's Co. of the Rifle Regiment, commanded by Col. Rawlings.  The outfit was also called Rawlngs Regiment Continental. On muster roll of Oct. 1777 Rueben Ross is listed with the remark "At Hospital." (DAR -Zillah Agerton #207531 - Court Records Virginia Revolutionary Soldiers, Vol. 9 page 263)

In 1795 he married Sarah Van Tierce, daughter of Ben Van Tierce from Holland, in Culpepper, Va. By the year 1812 nine children had been born to them. The family was then living in Stevensburg, Va. There were three boys and five girls in the family. Ruben Ross had been successful and there are records of a race-track having been owned by the family."

4Ellen Johnson, Yeiser , A Narriative History of (part 2), 1846. "One day a young boy, about eleven years old wandered into the Ross home. His name was Charles Louis Marshall. The family liked him and he remained, becoming one of the family, and received the same education.

As the years went on the head of the family, Rueben Ross was plagued with gout. He had to move to Staunton where he could get attention. He passed away there after 1813.

Mary Catherine Ross, Rueben and Sarah's youngest daughter, born Mar. 31, 1812, married Charles Louis Marshell, Mar 19, 1828.  Mary Catherine's first two children were born in Stevensburg, Va. and they continued to live in that vicinity for about five years. Then came the cholera epidemic of 1833. Many families moved from the affected centers seeking immunity.  The records in the Yeiser Bible show that Catherine and Charles moved many times in the next few years.

Catherine was only twenty-two and had three young children, Horace, Elizabeth, and EllenAraminta, when she had to stop somewhere in the Virginia Wilderness to bear the fourth child, Sarah. Then came Charleston Va., and Summerville, Tenn., where three children were born, Alma P., Charles S., who died in infancy and Mary A., born Nov. 14, 1844.

There was a trail through the wilderness from Nashville, Tenn. over which post riders carried mail and government documents to Natchez, Miss. In 1810 the Federal Government appropriated $6,000 to develop this trail into a road. When completed it was not much more than a foot path, twelve feet, cleared of trees, logs, and brush. All streams over forty feet wide were supposed to be bridged, wider rivers were crossed by the use of ferries, manned by Indians. Dangers lessened on the Trace after Jackson's men, victorious at New Orleans in 1833 marched homeward over it. During the first half of the last century as the hunters thinned out, carriages became numerous followed by servants on horseback.

When the decision was made by Charles and Catherine to move from Summerville Tenn. to Natches, Miss. the journey must have appeared like a gala outing compared with the hardships of former moves. There were now three teen aged daughters in the family to help look after the two younger children. Horace would soon be old enough to take his place in the ranks of the army.

However, at its best by stage coach or carriage it was a long and hazardous journey. A family photograph, daguerreotype taken about the time they lived in Natchez shows a well dressed, well groomed family. Catherine, gowned in heavy black silk looks every day her age of 39. The three daughters standing behind their parents have the appearance of careful training in the home. Horace is missing from the family group. National Archive records in Washington, D.C. show that in June 1846 he enlisted in the Natchez Fencibles, command by Capt. Thomas W. Clay for the term of twelve months.

In Natchez they lost the baby Charles, and Eugenia Theresa, the eighth child was born, Dec. 15 1847, died as an infant.

About the year 1849 or 1850 the family moved to Baton Rouge. What a gala trip down the Mississippi when the steamboat was at its height of glory. With three lovely young ladies and two little ones, Charles and Catherine Marshell made a charming family group.

Ellen Araminta was seventeen - in Baton Rouge she attended a Catholic Convent. The whole school had a French atmosphere and the pupils were required to study French. For her scholarship Araminta was presented with two volumes of Fork-lore and Botany - "LesFleurs Animee" published in Paris, on the Run De Seine. (We show in our records, a Lucy B., 9th child born Jan. 28, 1851 at Baton Rouge, La.).

John Lewis Marshell, b. Sept.  14, 1773 Kenton, Lincolnshire, England married Elizabeth McGill b Aug. 8, 1787  Fayetteville North Carolina. Charles Lewis Marshell Jr. b 1808 Augusta, Ga. d New Orleans, La.

Church records in Atlanta, Ga. show that John Marshell Sr. was sexton from 1817 to 1833. His wife, Elizabeth joined the Methodist church on Oct. 3, 1828. (Cemetery and Church records Augusta, Ga.) Their son, Charles Lewis Jr. was the young boy who became a member of the Rueben Ross household in Virginia.  The story told by his eldest daughter, Elizabeth to her daughter, Berta Wright, is that Charles became frightened because he thought himself in serious trouble when he tied a string across the path over which the town children went to school, causing a little girl to fall and cut herself badly on the raw edge of her slate, and ran away. The story did not go into the details of Charles wanderings.

Sergeant James G. Yeiser of Danville, Ky., was discharged from the army on Aug. 14, 1846 in New Orleans, La., where he was recovering from illness contracted after his voluntary enlistment in Kentucky. He was just twenty years at the time of his discharge.

For the next few years there are no definite records of James' activities. He returned to his home in Danville, where his mother Lucinda (Bradford) Yeiser was still living. Scott McGrorty, his sister's husband was the leading druggist in town. Medicine was taking a prominent place as a profession at this period. The first famous ovarian operation was performed by Ephriam McDowell in Danville without benefit of anesthetic. The patient, Jane Todd Crawford, of Caney Park, Ky., lived to be ninety years old.  In this environment the young veteran made good use of his time - seven years after his discharge from the army we find our handsome grandparents again in New Orleans, writing a note to his fiancee, Ellen  Araminta Marshell, Baton Rouge, on the evening of Jan. 24, 1853. He was using the back of an invitation to a Social Ball, taking place in New Orleans the next night. J. G. Yeiser's name appears as one of the fifteen managers of the Ball.

After more than a hundred and twenty years had slipped away I found that letter among Araminta's "souvenirs."  Following is a copy of the note - it tells its own story.

New Orleans Jamy 24th 53

You must consider this a letter until tomorrow as I am very busy this morning. Just read yours of the 20th, Darling, am very happy after my disappointment yesterday. As it was Sunday I was more than usually anxious to be talking with my minister. Well darling after four Sundays more there will come days of writing no more but being always together. I saw Annie yesterday. She says if you move to N.O. before the 24th she intends to have the honor of dressing the bride, if not she will go up with me to visit her relatives, the Bradfords and will dress you anyway. If you could only be here on Wednesday for the Ball, how happy I'd be. Annie is going with me .  T's her first visit to any place of amusement since her return.
When you are with me dearest Minta every evening will be really happy to us.
I do not think the removal of your father to the city need make any change in our contemplated way of living. We will have our own house and Sallie must stay with us, and George and we will be as merry and happy as the day is long.
Mrs. Goodall and Jenny send their love to you and Sallie. I told you in my last letter that Jennie wished you to write to her. Please do so dearest - they expect and wish it.  You must not blame me for this miserable apology for a letter Darling, I'll do better tomorrow when I have a little more time. The daguerreotypes are for you and Sallie to hang up in your bedroom to keep out the spirits.
Goodbye my darling until tomorrow.
Love to Sallie and all
Ever yours (signed) JIM

They were married as planed on Feb. 24, 1853 in New Orleans, by Rev. J. Twichell. The marriage certificate is on the page of a small booklet, entitled "The Christian Ministers Affectionate advise to a married couple. The booklet is well worn and marked in Araminta's hand-writing.

What happened to the plans for a home in the Crescent City?

According to the records in the family Bible Araminta's first child was born in Savannah, Ga. Dec. 10, 1853.

Before leaving this historic old city, two items which have remained with the family must be mentioned:
1st- An old oil painting, always known in the family as "The Deluge" (now in the possession of J. L. Colvin. Jean says that his mother told him, when giving him the picture, that it had originally hung in the cabin of an old sailing ship, sold for salvage in New Orleans.

2nd-The other treasure was earned by Ellen Araminta for scholarship when she attended the Catholic Convent in Baton Rouge: Two volumes in the French language on horticulture, published in Paris on the Rue de Denr, in the Latin Quarter, early in 1850.

The books also contain the most intriguing fairy stories. "Les Fleures Amamiees," The illustrations alone of the stories have charmed away many a dreary winter afternoon for children and grand-children of the family. The books show much abuse from careless hands but they survived, and have been the inspiration for many hours of study and travel that the stories might be told in English.

The beautiful northwest section of Georgia with its mountains, forest and rivers was part of the original hunting grounds of the Cherokee Indians.  De Soto with his Spanish explorers in the 16th. century penetrated far into this section, then turned west. As a bulwark against the Spanish who had built the ancient City of St. Augustine on the coast of Florida south of St.  Johns River, a British Crown Colony was established near the mouth of the Savannah River by James Oglethorpe, in 1733. During the following years this colony of Savannah became the home of many immigrants from England seeking religious and financial freedom. Georgia was one of the original thirteen American Colonies in the War of Revolution. In 1777 a state constitution was adopted and the Capitol City was Milledgeville.

For a number of years the government at Washington had been negotiating with the leaders of the Cherokee and Creek Indians, through the War Department, for the removal of their tribes, in lieu of a cash settlement, to equal acreage west of the Mississippi. In 1832 public lottery drawings for Cherokee lands were held.

The tragic years of the struggle of the Cherokee Indians for the  hunting grounds of their forefathers in the mountainous county of northwest Georgia came to an end with the great gathering of their nations in Floyd County about six miles north of what was to become the town or Rome.

In the spring of 1834 a couple of lawyers on their way to attend court at Livingston, county seat of Floyd Co., stopped at a small spring on a neck of land which separates the Etowah and the Oostanaula rivers, to rest and refresh themselves and their horses. They were Daniel R. Mitchell and Zachariah B. Hargrove. While resting under a willow tree Mr. Hargrove gazed on the surrounding hills and remarked: "This would make a splendid site for a town."

Mr. Mitchell agreed, adding : "There is plenty of water round about, extremely fertile soil, and all the timber a man could want."

Another traveler coming along stopped, and after introducing himself as Maj. Philip Walker Hemphill, planter, joined in the conversation. He said that he had never passed this spot on his way to and from the trading post on the Oostanaula, that he did not think of the possibilities of this location. When he learned the destination of the two other travelers and knowing that the court did not convene until the next day, he suggested that they spend the night at his plantation home, near by, where they could discuss the subject more fully.

After the court sessions were over, Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Hargrove were again the guest of Mr. Hemphill, and a neighbor William Smith of Cave Springs was asked to join the group. They decided to acquire all the available land in the vicinity. All four men were well fully occupied with their own private activities; so decides to take in a fifth member. John H.  Lumpkin of Oglethorpe Co., acting secretary to the Governor of the state, was invited to join them. Mr. Lumpkin immediately resigned his position and gave his full time to the development of the new community. He took over all the legal matters and started growing up with the new town.

To select a name for this dream town of the hills, each of the five pioneers put a name of his choice in a hat, agreeing that the name picked out first would be it. The following names were put into the hat:
Hillsboro by Col. Smith
Pittsburg by Col. Hargrove
Hamburg by Col. Hemphill
Rome by Col. Mitchell
Warsaw by Mr. Lumpkin

Col. Mitchell had put in the name of Rome because the location with its hills and rivers made him think of the ancient city of Rome, on the Tiber River.

Mr. Hemphill who had a cousin in Georgia legislature at Milledgeville was requested to use his influence to have this county seat moved from Livingston to the new town. The founders would give sufficient land for public buildings. Immediate plans were made for laying out streets and building bridges.

The surrounding country was a "forest primeval." The hills were covered with dense wood and the land near the intersection of the rivers was swampy and full of willows with an occasional sturdy tree; wild turkey and deer were often seen; snakes were numerous and squirrels skipped in their native element. The bushes were alive with birds of beautiful colors. In the vicinity of two mountains about five miles away bears roamed at will and at night the fiery gleam in the eye of a wolf warned the unwary travelers. It was a wild country for Indians and Squatters alike. It was a wild country for Indians and Squatters alike.

The removal of the County Courthouse from Livingston to the new town of Rome was accomplished in 1835. A post-office was located on a convenient spot.

Inns and hotels were among the first public establishments to appear. The mail and travelers were brought in stages which were joggling rickety affairs, pulled by four horses. The mail was carried in pouches and the stage driver was responsible for its delivery. The first Inn was kept by  Wm. Quinn of "Cross Keys," as Five Points N. Broad street was then known.

In 1845 Rev. and Mrs J.M. Caldwell stopped at McEntee House on their way to Selma, Alabama, where Dr. Caldell had been offered the pastorate of the first Presbyterian Church. The proprietor of the Inn, James McEntee and others persuaded the young couple to remain in Rome. They were temporarily established in the old Ross house, by the owner, Col. Alfred Shorter. There they opened the first school of any pretensions in Rome in a part of their dwelling. Later they assumed charge of the Rome Female College.

In the 1850's Rome had much to offer an ambitious young couple, with its beautiful location surrounded by mountains of Cherokee, and situated on the confluence of two streams, upon one of which and upon the river with which they form steamboats constantly arrive and depart. In the course of a few years "The Iron Horse," on its way terminus there, and Rome had hopes of being a railroad shipping center. Brick store buildings began to appear on Broadway, the main business street and many lovely homes were built.

The First Baptist Church was established in 1835; then came the Methodist in 1840; St. Peters Episcopal located at 5th. Ave. and E. 1st., established March 31, 1854.

What a haven, this beautifully located town of Rome in the mountains of North Georgia offered to James Yeiser and his young family. They arrived there about 1858. The spacious and lovely home they occupied was to remain in the family for nearly fifty years. It was known as "Rose Terrace."

The pioneering days were over, replaced by the days of the "Iron Horse," and industry. On both sides of Broad Street, the main thoroughfare there were a number of brick store buildings and the streets were lighted at night by gas.

In March of 1859 another son was born to Ellen Araminta. He was named William Chartres. The eldest daughter of the Marshall family, Anna Elizabeth, husband's name John Caeeigan, a Judge had located in the thriving young town of Atlanta; the youngest daughter of the family, Lucie, was living in her sister's home in Rome. The other member of the family had remained in New Orleans.

In Nov. 1860 J. G. Yeiser's name appears with that of A. W. Caldwell as the choice for councilmen from the Third Ward. (Page 130 History of Rome and Floyd Co., by Robert Battey Jr.) But soon he would be called upon to serve with men from Georgia for the defense of his home and state.

There was much division of thought in all of the southern states regarding the vital issue between north and south. Rome had well represented in National and State politics. Judge Jno. W. H. Underwood from Rome, member of the Georgia Delegation in Washington walked out of Congress in 1861. South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida by vote of their people had seceded from the Union. Much depended upon the convention called at Milledgeville to make the decision for the State of Georgia. This was the hub state without her the Confederacy would be divided. The debate in the convention was long and bitter. A great number of people did not believe in slavery, but they did believe in the right of the State to make its own decision. Georgia's secession vote was made on Jan. 19, 1861.

The Yeiser home state of Kentucky was divided in its loyalty, but Rose Ormsby (4th child of 'Rose Barbee {Yeiser} McGrorty) of Danville, & James' sister was a strong supporter of the Southern Cause. We find her referred to as a "Hot Rebel" written by her cousin.

Now again at the age of 35 James Yeiser felt the call of military duty; this time in the defense of home and state. He was chosen 1st. Lieut. of the Rome Volunteers Cherokee Artillery Company "A" under Capt. M. A. Stovall. After the first battle of Manassas in which the southern forces suffered such losses, there was much re-organization. Washington, D.C. records taken from confiscated Confederate papers show "JamesG. Yeiser , Capt., Light Company, "A", 34th. Artillery Battalion, Georgia Volunteers, Confederate States. Resigned Jan. 10, 1863. Further records show him as Col., Floyd Legion, State Guards, Confederate States Army -Pay Voucher Jan. 6, 1864."

Upon the outbreak of hostilities Lucy Marshell was told by her father to return to New Orleans. It was a hazardous trip and it is said that she rode in the engineer's cab, carrying military dispatches in her shoe to Confederate leaders in the deep south. On June 2, 1861, shortly after her husband had left to join his regiment and her sister had returned to New Orleans, Ellen Araminata gave birth to another son, she named Horace Morse. She was alone now with three little ones, the oldest Charles Frederick, was in his seventh year. He had been a cripple from birth and was confined to a wheel chair. In spite of his affliction he had developed a sweet and gentle disposition and was dearly loved by all the household. When he was old enough to play outside he was provided with a chair wagon and a young attendant capable of looking after his personal needs, but young enough to be companionable.

The terrible tenseness of this first year of war and the absence of his dear father were incomprehensible to this delicate sensitive child. Before the year 1862 Ellen Araminta had laid to rest her oldest as well as her youngest son.

The women of Rome lost no time in organizing into groups for war work. The City Hall was used as a meeting place and each day groups of from twenty to thirty dedicated women gathered to make garments for the volunteer troops. Mrs.Underwood and Mrs. Fort had their sewing machines moved to the meeting place.

Story continues in source notes under wife's name."

Ellen Araminta Marshall

1Ellen Johnson, Yeiser , A Narriative History of (part 3). "Continued from source notes under husband's name.

On August 19, 1861, the Ladies Aid Society was formed and although it was only one month after the birth of her baby, Mrs. J. G. Yeiser's name appears among the workers. Their duties were many and varied. Even a Children's Aid Society was organized in Sept. 1861, sponsored by the wife of the Episcopal minister. Children could be of great help running errands.

Wounded soldiers began to arrive from over-crowed army hospitals. Immediate care was necessary so Mrs. Martha Battey, wife of Dr. Robert Batty, surgeon with the aid of the towns people, on Aug. 23rd. opened the Wayside home at the corner of Broad St. and 1st. Ave. This location was convenient to the Rome railway station.

One day a typical word battle took place between two dedicated and faithful women on duty in this makeshift hospital. This story has come down in the tradition of our family. Martha Batty had done, or said something to irritate Araminta Yeiser who exclaimed, "Martha Battey you are a regular old Mrs. Jelliby." Martha was not a great reader and did not know Dicken's character of Black House, but she made it her business to find out about Mrs. Jelliby's character, and when Martha learned that Mrs. Jelliby was a women who neglected her own family to look after the affairs of others, her only remark was: "Well its just kettle calling the pot black."

These little feuds did not deter the women in the work at hand. Even the dreaded disease of smallpox could not keep Martha Battey from giving comfort and assurance to a young 17 year old soldier stricken on his way to his home in Louisiana. The women of Rome stripped their homes to provide linen, bandages and other equipment necessary for the care of the sick and wounded.

The following is a quotation from Robert Battey, Jr.'s History of Rome and Floyd County - "Mrs. J. G. Yeiser received much praise for her tireless efforts with the sick and the wounded."

As the northern armies drew near to Rome, the hospitals were removed to Macon. The great struggle on the home front was for mere existence. A band of Sherman's raiders was reported headed for Rome, and on May 26, 1863 a committee including the Mayor and other citizens in which James G. Yeiser's name appears, made a plea that all men capable of bearing arms come to the defense of their homes. Lieut. Col. Yeiser had been retired to Rome in Jan. 1863, disabled.

"By noon the town was fairly well garrisoned by men and boys of all ages. (Page 171 George Battey's History of Rome and Floyd Co.) The bridges were blocked by cotton bales, and the floors covered with straw saturated with oil, Every cellar and garret had been ransacked for arms and weapons of any kind. Col. J.G. Yeiser obtained two old honey-combed cannons and placed the dangerous ends toward the enemy. These old rusty flintlocks rifles and a few pistols were all the defenders had, but they were sufficient to turn back Streight's advance guard."

Fortunately for Rome, Gen. Nathan B. Forrest caught up with the raiders and Rome was saved for the present.

Washington, D. C. records taken from confiscated Confederate papers show, James G. Yeiser, Capt,. Light Company "A" 34 th. Artillery Battalion Confederate States, Georgia Volunteers, resigned Jan. 10, 1863." In May of '63 he with other citizens of the town of Rome had stood against a band of Sherman's Raiders. During June and July the men remaining in Floyd County, able to bear arms, were organized into a regiment with James G. Yeiser as their Colonel. The regiment was offered to the President of the Confederacy by Gov. James E. Brown for local defense on Aug. 1, 1863.

Capt.Yeiser who had seen service in the Mexican war as a young man and had been for two years with the Confederate Army in Virginia and Tennessee had organized and equipped these men for a last defense of their home. (Photostatic copies of Military records.) The State records confirm the records in Washington Archives up to Jan. 1864. The new regiment joined the Confederate forces at Dalton, Ga.

After the birth of another son, Robert Bradford, Nov. 4, 1863, Ellen Araminta with her two older children, Rose and William, refugees to Eufalla, Alabama, a small town on the Chattahooche river. There alone with her little ones, she defeated the marauding enemy in her own charming manner.

Some Confederate army supplies consisting of boxes of brown sugar were brought to her temporary home for safety. The boxes were stored under the large four poster beds behind drapes reaching to the floor. When a northern searching party appeared at her door, she greeted the officer in command with all the gracious charm she could muster.

There she stood alone in the doorway dressed in the long feminine garments of the period; her thick brown hair parted in the middle and fastened in a roll at the nap of her neck; her dark eyes were shaded with the tragedy of all the south.

She stepped aside and motioned them in, saying: "Come in and search gentlemen, I have nothing to hide. I am here alone with my little ones."

With her disarming dignity and poise she had aroused a spark of compassion in the heart of the officer, and the searching party only glanced into the bedroom. Who knows, maybe he had a charming wife of his own and little ones somewhere in the north.

Araminta had fought and won her battle for the Confederacy, but is there any wonder that the infant, Robert Bradford did not survive the rigors of the last year of the war. The family Bible lists his death in Eufalla.

General Sherman first entered Rome on Oct. 12, 1864, in pursuit of General Hood but changed his tactics to that of the "scorched earth policy," and leaving Rome set his course toward the sea. The town was evacuated by Federals on Nov. 10th. Sherman's instructions to Federal troops to leave not a blade of grass that a grasshopper could subsist upon was well carried out.

Many Rome families refused to leave their homes in the face of the  enemy. The sad story of their terror and struggle under Sherman' ruthless policy may be found in many documents preserved in private and state records. When reading some of these, such as the letter written by Martha Battey to her husband," Dr. Robert Battey, surgeon somewhere within the Confederate forces near Selma, Alabama, it is not difficult for me to understand my spirited grandmother's often repeated words: "If I thought I had a drop of Yankee blood in my veins, I would open them and let it out. " ( Page 199 History of Rome and Floyd County.) April 9, 1865 and the war was over; then came the tragedy of Lincoln's assassination and the end of his plans for binding up the wounds of the country. Under Johnson "The Tragic Era. The accusation on and imprisonment of the President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis, as an accomplice in the murder only made a hero of him in the eyes of the southern people and widen the breach between north and south. The carpet-bag rule of the next ten years left practically no self-governing power in the hands of the returning soldiers.

Many Rome families who had fled before Sherman's marauders returned to find their homes and means of livelihood completely destroyed. The homes which were far enough from the center of town to be beyond the line of march were not put to the torch. Among these lucky few was the large roomy home of James and Araminta Yeiser. How thankful they must have been to find it standing. At least they had something to start from and a shelter for their two remaining children, Rosa and William.

When the same spirit in which the demands of war had been met, the men and women of Rome rebuilt their town in spite of the difficulties set up by a lawless and irresponsible administration. The negroes, freed by a government which made no provision for their education for freedom and its responsibilities, were left to glean their existence from a country-side laid waste by the conquering army with and many of its responsible citizens defranchised.

By 1870 the Yeiser Drug Store was again doing business in Rome on  Broad St. near 4th. Ave. It had a soda fountain and carried a variety of merchandise which was customary at that time. It was a business known to the family. Dr. Yeiser's brother-in-law, Scott McGrority, his sister Rose's husband had been in the business for many years in Danville. D. A. Yeiser, also born in Danville went to Paducah when a young man and after clerking for a while opened his own business which developed in later years into a wholesale drug business.

The Masonic order, Oostanaula Lodge # 113 was instituted in Rome in Sept. 1869. The records of the organization show that James G. Yeiser was the first new member in Jan. 1870.

Many years later Rome's "Roaming Reporter,"" Wade Cothran Smith reminiscing on the nostalgic days of his youth in this little town at the junction of the three rivers wrote: "Those were the days when Dr. Yeiser's drug store was the best smelling place on earth. I think it was the sarsaparilla flavor or the wintergreen, but the delicious odor spread out over the sidewalk and was an irresistible lure to passersby. ("Dr Yeiser's Drug Store was a gathering place for the young and the old.") In another article this same columnist tells of a fire in the Masonic Temple at 4th. and Broad Sts. which started on an upper floor and a large crowd gathered on Broad St. to watch the Volunteer fire companies putting up ladders and hauling a hose up the broad stairway, a good sized billy goat charged down the stairway and into the street, but changed its mind, the frightened animal entered Dr. Yeiser's drug store and after nearly wrecking the Prescription Department disappeared out the back door. Tucked away between the leaves of the Family Bible after over 100 years the following gem of advertising came to light. For many years Dr. Yeiser's Drug Store was a gathering place for the young and old Romans.

On Nov. 4, 1865, another son, Victor Ashby, was born to Araminta after the return of the family to Rome. The steadfast and determined qualities in this mother which had enabled her to face the war years were now to turn toward building anew the foundation of her family. Money was scarce and the drug store had to be stocked and equipped from bottom up. The home place was large and commodious and soon there was a demand for housing and living accommodations, for the new people bringing business into Rome. With steady determination Ellen A. persuaded her husband to allow her to offer board and room to a selected few of these newcomers.

Help for such a project was not difficult to find. Many of the negroes who rushed jubilantly away when the news of their freedom reached them, soon returned to their homes when they learned that freedom had its price and they were not equipped to pay it. The way the Yeiser household servants felt is expressed in their reaction when Mrs. Yeiser returned home one day for duty at the soldiers's hospital, just after news of the Emancipation Proclamation reached Rome, naturally she was very excited and said to the assembled group: "Go on, get out! Go to your Yankee friends, you are free now."

The spontaneous reply was! "Oh! Please Mis Mint, don't send us away."

Under "Minta's capable management all hands were soon busy. One of her favorite maxims were: "Idle hands are the Devil's Workshop."

Dr. Yeiser's kind and sympathetic understanding of the negro and the rudeness plight in which he found himself after the war drew many to him for help and advice. One instance especially, bore fruit for many years. He befriended a woman by the name of Harriet, accused of serious theft and drunken, and her child. She attached herself to his household and participated in the family joys and sorrows for many years. Her daughter graduated from a southern negro college and became a teacher.

What a busy household; two school aged children and an infant, boarders to be fed and catered to, the large yard with its lovely trees and terraces filled with roses, gradually to be developed into a thing of beauty and known in the community as "Rose Terrace," Is it any wonder that Dr. Yeiser, a sensitive and studious person avoided the confusion of the dining room to take his meals quietly alone in his study. In addition to his business there were always so many problems for him to settle.

One day his young daughter, Rose, his joy and delight, ambitiously painted her bedroom furniture with oil paints which had a gift, in an array of colorful spring flowers.

Araminta was indignant and wished to punish her severely. But her loving and gentle father would hear to no punishment, "She is going to be an artist," he said.

In the course of time two other children were born into the family, a boy who was to live only a few hours and in 1872 a girl who was named Callie. Rose was then fifteen and the baby sister was the joy of her life.

In every girl's life there is a bosom friend with whom to share the secrets and the joys and disappointments of girlhood. But a friendship which lasts through the years and is diminished by separation, distance or the ups and downs of fortune is indeed a rare experience to be treasured as a precious gift. Such was the friendship between Rose Yeiser and Agnes Smith, daughter of S. P. Smith whose maternal home built well over 100 years ago is still standing on its hilltop in gracious dignity, a monument to the southern family life of four generations.

Rose delighted in the county life at Coligini; the early morning walks with Dr. Smith with whom she was a favorite and the horseback rides to Mt. Alto and surrounding country.

The hilly sight of Shorter College where many daughters of the South received their education was only a short distance from the Yeiser home. There with many of her friends Rose enjoyed the busy, happy years of her young womanhood. Her college pin as member of the "San Souci" club is dated 1879, on the back is engraved her name and date.

This was also the year of the organization of the Young Men's Library Association of which her father's name appears as one of the directors.

The diligent effort of this group was a forerunner to the Carnegie Library for Rome.

In a faded old envelope tucked away in the pages of a scrap book I found the following program of an evenings entertainment in Rome in the year 1876. It tells the story of many gatherings and happy hours of preparation and fun before the final successful production.

In looking for clues to the past then marriage dates, lists of births and deaths and places where the family had lived, of which the Yeiser family Bible had already furnished bountiful information, I was turning the pages of the precious old book when I found a fragment of newspaper clipping, six lines only and the fifth line Rose Yeiser's name appeared. The balance of that clipping just must be in the book. I carefully turned age, stopping to read here and there passages which Araminta knew so well and quoted so often during the years I knew her.

It was a pleasant occupation and well rewarded for I found the other lines of the clipping. No date or newspaper identity appeared, but it had to be a Rome paper published sometime during 1876.

How well Rose was fulfilling her father's prediction that she would be an artist. Her mother was determined that other accomplishments were not neglected. It took hours of practice at the piano to develop the knowledge of music and the ability to entertain which gave to her family and friends of pleasure throughout the years.

In appreciation of the portrait mentioned in the newspaper clipping, among my mother's papers is a poem written on lined note paper, yellowed and falling apart where folded, a poem addressed to Miss Rose Yeiser of "Rose Terrace," from Violent Dell, Sept. 12, 1877 and signed only with the initials S.V.P.

NEWSPAPER CLIPPING - Rome Georgia - 1876 or 1877
"While in Rome, the other day, we had the pleasure of seeing splendid specimens of portrait paining by Miss Rose Yeiser, a young and lady who is destined to become a superior artist. One of these is a full size portrait of Judge Underwood; and although it was not quite finished, it was as good a likeness as we have seen of anybody.  The Judge has exhibited good taste in employing so fair a hand in producing so fair a picture, a picture of himself. The other picture is of a little girl, full length, five years is of a little girl, full length, five years old. The execution of this work is splendid. The drapery is artistic, and the whole presents a pose or attitude at once graceful, natural and child-like in every particular. We congratulate the parents upon having such a daughter, and the daughter for her artistic skill and proficiency as a painter."

Narrative continue in source notes of daughter, Mary Rose."