picture

Terry Mason's Family History Site

Major lines: Allen, Beck, Borden, Buck, Burden, Carpenter, Carper, Cobb, Cook, Cornell, Cowan, Daffron, Davis, Downing, Faubion, Fauntleroy, Fenter, Fishback, Foulks, Gray, Harris, Heimbach, Henn, Holland, Holtzclaw, Jackson, Jameson, Johnson, Jones, King, Lewis, Mason, Massengill, McAnnally, Moore, Morgan, Overstreet, Price, Peck, Rice, Richardson, Rogers, Samuel, Smith, Taylor, Thomas, Wade, Warren, Weeks, Webb, Wodell, Yeiser.

 

Selected Families and Individuals

Notes


John Groom

DESCENDANTS-RESEARCHER-PARENTS: Ewing Farmer sent letter to T.Mason on 15Nov 2002 indicating that "lived in Overton Co., Tennessee but in 1823 Fentress County was split from Overton Co. and after that they lived in Fentress Co. probably in the same house.

On Apr. 6, 1819 Nelly Groom sold a 50 acre farm to James Watt. Nelly was the administrator.

CHILDREN: T.Mason received information of names of additional children from Georgia A. Oldham on 29 Jan 2004.ring village because a priest could have been ill or for some other reason.


Thomas Dallas Johnson

DESCENDANTS-RESEARCHER-PARENTS: Ewing Farmer sent letter to T.Mason on 8 Jan 2003 indicating that "My Great Grandfather."


Thomas Dallas Johnson

DESCENDANTS-RESEARCHER-PARENTS: Ewing Farmer sent letter to T.Mason on 8 Jan 2003 indicating that "My Great Grandfather."


Ewings Bristow

Had 5 children.


Mariah Stockton

The following information was posted in WorldConnect by Jerry Stockton on 5 October 2011.

Mariah's father, Jesse Stockton Sr, bought his father's property from the other heirs of "Smith Creek" John Stockton on 30 May 1825.
"SMITH CREEK" JOHN STOCKTON
Cumberland County, Kentucky
Deed Book F
pp. 34-35

This Indenture made this 30th day of May in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and twenty five, between John Christian, John Stockton, Rachel Jones of the County of Overton and State of Tennessee, Michael Stockton, Thomas Stockton, Daniel Stockton, John Irwin, Samuel C. Stockton and Davis Stockton of the County of Cumberland and State of Kentucky all heirs of John Stockton deceased of the one part, and Jesse Stockton one of the heirs of said John Stockton deceased of the other part. Witnesseth. That for and in consideration of the sum of three hundred and fifty dollars to them in hand paid, the said John Christian, John Stockton, Rachael Jones, Michael Stockton, Thomas Stockton, Daniel Stockton, John Irwin, Samuel C. Stockton, and Davis Stockton heirs as aforesaid, doth by these presents, grant, bargain and sell unto the aforesaid Jesse Stockton, their undivided right and interest in and to two hundred acres of land, lying in Cumberland County aforesaid, on Smiths Creek, which was patented in the name of John Stockton assignee of Samuel S. Green, and bounded as followeth to wit, Beginning at a white oak and walnut on the South side of the creek, thence with George Smiths line N 68 degrees W. 10 poles to the creek, whole length of the line 188 poles, to a hickory, dogwood and post oak thence S 22 degrees W. 188 poles to a white oak and dogwood thence S 68 degrees E 130 poles to gum and dogwood on Alexander Harts line, thence with his line N 42 degrees E. 60 poles to a double poplar, thence N. 85 degrees E. 36 poles to the Creek, whole length of the line 70 poles to a black oak, gum, dogwood and hickory, thence N. 9 degrees E. 102 poles to the place of beginning;

Which tract or parcel of land, with its appurtenances the heirs of John Stockton deceased as aforesaid, doth by these presents, warrants and forever defend to Jesse Stockton aforesaid, and his heirs and assigns from all persons whatsoever, claiming under the right of John Stockton deceased, and do vest the whole title of said land in Jesse Stockton and his heirs as an indefeasible inheritance in fee simple In testimony whereof we have hereunto set our hands and seals the date first above written, signed, sealed and delivered and acknowledged in presents of Attest
William Holsapple
Isaac Smith
Robert Owen
John Stockton

Rachael Jones (Seal)
Thomas Stockton (Seal)
John Stockton (Seal)
Samuel Stockton (Seal)
J. Christian (Seal)
Jno. Irwin (Seal)
Davis Stockton (Seal)
Daniel Stockton (Seal)
[Note: In the original document the symbol for degrees was used, which has been replaced with the word degrees for this posting. Jerry Stockton]

EARLY TIMES IN CLINTON COUNTY
Volume I
by Jack Ferguson
1986
THE COUNTY'S FIRST SETTLERS

As far as can be ascertained through the dim mist that surrounds this early period, Clinton county's first permanent white settler was Thomas Stockton Sr., after whom Stocktons valley took its name. Only the barest details concerning this sturdy old pioneer can be ascertained. A Virginian, he probably came to this state through the Cumberland Gap, over the route that Kentucky pioneers made famous. We are told by tradition that he came into the wilderness of early Clinton county around 1791 or 1792. (1) Another traditionary account states that he first settled in or near the Caney Gap, near the late Killis Huddleston farm, where he threw up a crude log hut. According to this account, water was obtained from a spring which was some distance away. One day while going after water, Mrs. Stockton was confronted by a large black bear, which she frightened away by flapping her apron at it. A further detail in this traditionary account is that the trees in this neighborhood were too large and thick for easy clearing, so Stockton and his family moved to what is now known as Duvall valley. At the extreme lower end of the valley, he built a log house near a spring some distance west of Spring creek. At that time Clinton county was a virgin wilderness. As far as can be determined, settlers had not yet penetrated into the adjoining county of Cumberland; only a very few had ventured into Wayne county.

The location of this first permanent settlement in Clinton county can be definitely established by the record of survey made of it. On August 25, 1798 Stockton was granted a certificate of settlement to 200 acres of land by the Commissioners for Settlement South of Green River, which located his grant on Spring creek, calling for a line "to Whitney's Fork of Spring creek, thence down the creek." (2) Whitney's Fork was an early name for the present Koger creek. Most of his grant lay on the west side of the creek, with a small portion jutting across it, along the north bank of Koger creek. His certificate of settlement states that his "improvement" was on the northeast side of the claim. This suggests that he cleared ground and built a log cabin on the west side of the creek, possibly just a little south of the present Beech Bottom road. His tract included the present site of the Irwin Consolidated School. Stockton made an official entry on this land on October 20, 1799, and it was surveyed on November 6 that year by William Wood.

According to the United States Census of 1790, enumerating the heads of families of 1782 to 1785, Thomas Stockton, Sr. was living in Albemarle county, with five children. We do not know the name of his first wife; his second wife was Mary Golden, whom he married October 28, 1775 in Virginia. She [should read He] died February 13, 1809 after coming to this county.

(1) The traditionary date of Stockton's settlement in Clinton county was given in a letter from Mrs. S. A. Davidson Chanute, Tennessee, to the author.
(2) Whitney's Fork was so named after Samuel Whitney, who had a grant in 1798 on the east side of Spring creek, adjoining Stockton's tract. However, there is no evidence that he was ever an actual settler of the county. By 1799 his 200 acre tract was owned by James Wood.