Terry Mason's Family History Site

Major lines: Allen, Beck, Borden, Buck, Burden, Carpenter, Carper, Cobb, Cook, Cornell, Cowan, Daffron, Davis, Downing, Faubion, Fauntleroy, Fenter, Fishback, Foulks, Gray, Harris, Heimbach, Henn, Holland, Holtzclaw, Jackson, Jameson, Johnson, Jones, King, Lewis, Mason, Massengill, McAnnally, Moore, Morgan, Overstreet, Price, Peck, Rice, Richardson, Rogers, Samuel, Smith, Taylor, Thomas, Wade, Warren, Weeks, Webb, Wodell, Yeiser.


Selected Families and Individuals


Richard Lee Alexander

  They lived in East Texas after their marriage and returned in 1925 to Menard County where Lee went to work for the Crawfords. (They lived between what is called the 5 and 10 mile crossings).
  In the summer of 1930, they moved to town (Menard) into the old Mullins Place (across from the Baptist encampment). Here the family lost their home and most of their personal belongings during the flood of 1930. They had to wade out during the night and had no desire to return there.
  By now Lee is working for the Frisco Railroad. The family rented the Old Darr House, but couldn't get possession of it because there were people living in it at the time. So they spent the winter of 1930 in a large tent that Lee boxed in.
  In September of 1932, Lee bought a lot on the North side of Menard on the end of what is now Willow Street. They built a small house mainly out of throw-away grain doors from railroad shipping cars and railroad ties. It had a dirt floor. (Later as time and money allowed, they added more rooms).
  In the summer of 1935, Lee became the foreman of a railroad section at Dalazelle, just this side of Brownwood. The family had to move again and stayed here until August of 1937 when they returned to Menard.
  The Frisco Railroad Line had sold out to Santa Fe Railroad and Lee again became a relief foreman and spent most of the time away from home. He retired from the Santa Fe Railroad August 9, 1967.
Lee died in Temple, Texas on April 22, 1977. He is buried in Resthaven Cemetary in Menard, Texas.

Ada Mae Wagoner

She married Richard Lee Alexander in December 16, 1921 and bore him 9 children. Ada spent most of the time alone raising the children while Lee was gone working. She never received a drivers liscense and never drove a car. After the flood in the 1930's she never would consider living on the river and when Lee purchased riverfront land it was later sold with no dwelling ever built on it.
When Lee died in 1977, Ada remained in Menard for another five years and then went to stay with a daughter in Odessa and then a son in Brazoria. When poor health demanded it, she was put into the Village on the Creek nursing home in Clute, Texas where she stayed until her death at the age of 95.
Ada Wagoner and Richard Lee Alexander met when Ada was working for her brother-in-law, Mills Pope, in a bakery in Menard. Lee started to work in the bakery and Ada was to train him to take her place. (She had to return to Hext to help her parents gather the fall cotton crop).

James Cecil Alexander

At the time his sister Louise had diptheria, they lived in a tent that was boxed in. James Cecil was just a little boy, and though she was supposed to be kept isolated from the other children, James Cecil would sneak in and jump on her bed. His Aunt Eunice was there and scooted him out with a warning. Next thing you know, he's back in and up on the bed. Eunice quietly came in with a crate board slat and hit the bed with it. It made such a loud noise that James Cecil thought he'd been killed. Not long after, the family moved into a house. Lee, Ada, and their children were sitting around the table eating. The wind had gotten up and was blowing a shutter against the house making quite a noise. Since James Cecil was just learning to talk, it took some time for him to get his father's attention long enough to tell him, "Quick Daddy, (Slam) Mean Aunt Eunice coming!!"
And while in a discussion with Lee on how you get two spankings for fibbing, one for the error, one for the fib, James Cecils comeback was, "Today I just don't feel like talking."
"At about 7 years old, I went with my Grandfather (Charles Alexander) to Waco from Menard in a wagon. It took us a month to make the trip. During the trip my Grandfather caught me smoking under a bridge and gave me a blistering to be remembered".
He went to work for Santa Fe Railroad in July of 1944 and worked there until December 1945, when he entered the Navy.
He served on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific with the 7th Fleet, being discharged in December 1947.
He returned to work for the railroad in Sweetwater until May 1954. At this time he was recalled to duty during the Korean War. He served 2 years in Japan and Korea with a Naval Air Patrol Squadron. He was discharged in May 1956 and returned again to Santa Fe Railroad until July 1957.
He worked as a Boys Counselor at the West Texas Boys Ranch in San Angelo, Texas until 1959.
He moved to Ft. Worth and became a counselor at Tarrant County Childrens Home.
He went to work for Boysville in San Antonio as Assistant Administrator for two years and then worked in the Odessa oilfields.
January 1964, he came back to the railroad and moved to Silsbee, Texas where he was the Chief Clerk and Yardmaster. He retired May 1988 and returned to Menard and lived in the old home place until May of 1994 when because of illness he entered the nursing home at Clute, Texas where his mother Ada was. He died there and was returned to Menard for burial.