Terry Mason's Family History Site

Major lines: Allen, Beck, Borden, Buck, Burden, Carpenter, Carper, Cobb, Cook, Cornell, Cowan, Daffron, Davis, Downing, Faubion, Fauntleroy, Fenter, Fishback, Foulks, Gray, Harris, Heimbach, Henn, Holland, Holtzclaw, Jackson, Jameson, Johnson, Jones, King, Lewis, Mason, Massengill, McAnnally, Moore, Morgan, Overstreet, Price, Peck, Rice, Richardson, Rogers, Samuel, Smith, Taylor, Thomas, Wade, Warren, Weeks, Webb, Wodell, Yeiser.


Selected Families and Individuals


Thomas Potts Jr

BIOGRAPHY: Family History Records; ; compiled by Michael S. Cole, [HYPERLINK http://www.thecolefamily.com/hobby/ahnentafel.htm#ahnentafel ] ; ; copy dated 26 Jan 1994 sent to T Mason; NOTES: 1678 came to America. RESEARCHER: Betty Koleda, Prineville, OR.

HYPERLINK http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rbarry4145/pttg04.htm#830 ] He was baptized on 29 Apr 1707 in Lower Duplin Township, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. He was employed as a tanner in 1710 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. He was named (Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania Wills, 1682-1819, Vol D pg 110) as a trustee by Mary Powell on 13 Sep 1718 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. He signed a will (Calendar of New Jersey Wills) on 30 Jan 1734 in Mansfield, Burlington County, New Jersey. He was named as a witness (New Jersey Calendar of Wills, on-line database, Vol II,) to the will of Peter Imlay on 29 May 1749 in Mansfield, Burlington County, New Jersey. He had a will probated on 21 Feb 1754 in Mansfield, Burlington County, New Jersey.

REFERENCE: John E. Stillwell, MD, Historical and Genealogical Miscellany (6 volumes) (New York, 1914), Vol II pg 44, Morris Library - University of Delaware, University of Delaware, Newark DE.

REFERENCE: Gloria Potts Stracke, Thomas Potts (Sheild) and Related Families (Privately printed. 1980. San Francisco, CA), Library of Congress - Local History & Genealogy Room, Washington DC.

DEATH: Clerk of the Church, Southampton Baptist Church Records. Bucks Co. PA., Family History Library, 35 N West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150 USA, FHC 0388568 Item 3.

Mary Borden

BIOGRAPHY: Family History Records; ; compiled by Michael S. Cole, [HYPERLINK http://www.thecolefamily.com/hobby/ahnentafel.htm#ahnentafel ] ; ; copy dated 26 Jan 1994 sent to T Mason; NOTES: Burial: Southampton Bapt Ch Cem, Pennsylvania. Johnston's "Rich Borden & Desc," p 25. RESEARCHER: Anna Burr, Bordentown, NJ & Betty Koleda, Prineville, OR.

Catherine Doudle Yeiser

SOURCE: (1) On 20Dec1981 information sent to Howard Yeiser by Jackson, Carole Elaine Warren, Kentucky Yeiser family. No issue. CONFLICT: List birthdate as 1805 which conflicts with bible record.

Philip E. Yeiser

OBITUARY: Copy in possession of T.Mason in Philip Yeiser file. He died on his farm near Danville. In his early life he ran a leather good business and continued for forty years at Yeisers's Corners, Main & Broadway, S.W. in Lexington. Had a niece at Louisville, a Mrs. George W. Allison. In his last visit to Lexington, visited his wife's grave. Laid to rest near Somerset.

Maria H. Yeiser

SOURCE: (1) Howard Yeiser. Had four children.

Augusta W. Pinckard

Catharine F. B. Mason indicated that he was living child of Mrs. Geo. Allison, Louisville, Ky.

Margaret Yeiser

SOURCE: (1) Howard Yeiser. Had two children.

Ferdinand Pinckard

Died unmarried.

William Shivel

NAME-SOURCE: (1) Howard Yeiser. Interchanges spelling of surname with Shivall and Shavall.

Catharine Yeiser

SOURCE: Howard Yeiser. Had four children.

Henry Clarence Goss

SOURCE: Howard Yeiser.

Ann Elizabeth Yeiser

SOURCE: (1) Howard Yeiser. Had six children.

Capt. Alexander Scott McGrorty

PARENTS: E-mail from Ava Little on 5-Jul-1997 to T. Mason;; I'm interested in Alexander McGrorty because he is a brother of Sarah Ann McGrorty who was my great-great grandmother. She and John Little were married in Convoy Parish, Donegal Co, on 5 July 1855. The civil record of their marriage lists Sarah's parents as William and Sarah McGrorty. I decided it would be worth getting Alexander Scott McGrorty's death certificate from Kentucky. It lists his parents.

RESEARCHER: E-mail from J. David Little to T.Mason; 15-June-1997; ; Extract: John Little my ancestor, married Sarah Ann McGrorty in Convoy Parish, Donegal, Ireland on 5Jul1855. Sarah Ann's parents were William McGrorty and Sarah _____. Convoy Parish is in the same part of Donegal that, according to your records, Alexander Scott McGrorty came from.

(1) Howard Yeiser. "Store & Druggist, Danville."
(2) Fackler, Calvin Morgan, "Early Days in Danville," The Standard Printing Co., Louisville, KY, 1941, Second Printing Dec. 1966, p. 259. Extraction: Came to America in 1837 at age seventeen from Ireland. Ran an apothecary for years and participated in many ways to help Danville, Boyle, Kentucky thrive. "Captain" McGrorty became a fixture in our town where he was to live until nearly a centenarian. The 'Captain' is real, as he once organized a local military company. His own business dates as far back as 1941, his ad appearing in the Clarion of October 6th, that year. He was a dedicated Episcopalian, serving as vestryman at Trinity for seventy-four years.

Rose Barbee Yeiser

Catharine F.B. Mason's notes indicates she has three children.
Ref: Early Days in Danville by Calvin Morgan Fackler 1941, lists Rose's marriage and full name of her husband. Marriage was done by Rev. John Alexander Adams, presbyter of the Episcopal Church, Diocese of Ky.

SOURCE: (1) Howard Yeiser, Tucson, AZ. Built Home "The Pines" in Danville.
(2) Fackler, Calvin Morgan, "Early Days in Danville," The Standard Printing Co., Louisville, KY, 1941, Second Printing Dec. 1966., p. 260. Captain McGrorty "married Miss Rose, daughter of Frederick Yeiser, and in 1843 he built "The Pines," the roomy old dwelling which stood at Main and the Wilderness Road. It still stands, but now so enveloped by the 'McGrorty Apartments' as to be undistinguishable. The Pines faced Main while the remodeled building fronts east."

Col James Garrard M. Yeiser

SOURCE: 1) Howard Yeiser, Tucson, AZ. Confederate Army and Mexican War. Landmark Home, "Rose Terrace"(1) Howard Yeiser. Had nine children. Served in Confederate Army and Mexican War. Owned landmark home, "Rose Terrace."
(2) Fackler, Calvin Morgan, "Early Days in Danville," The Standard Printing Co., Louisville, KY, 1941, Second Printing Dec. 1966. p.203-204. In reference to the War with Mexico, 1846, Second Kentucky Regt., Company D, D. Speed Smith Fry, in command. "Before the start to war sixteen were discharged between July and September 7, 1846; among them were...James G. Yeiser, Sergeant."

RESEARCHER: Information from Bob Anderson in June 2002. "I was really interested in the Yeiser home at the site of the battle of Champion's Hill in Mississippi. It was one of the questions that I presented to Howard because at the time I had just come from a visit the battleground and was interested in building some information on this Mississippi Yeiser home. I was tracing Col. Yeiser's Cherokee Artillery (at that time renamed Corput's Battery) through this battle and their Vicksburg campaign. Col. Yeiser had returned to Rome from Vicksburg before the battle because of a need for him to be involved in the opening of some mining here essential to the Southern war effort. At the same time this is when Howard informed me of James's son Victor Ashby's marriage to the "Mississippi" Katherine (Kate) Yeiser. I had such a hard time understanding Victor's death because at first I had some family information that he had died in Mississiippi but then his death records here indicated that he overdosed on some drug."

Published For The University of Kentucky March 1993 By Bob Anderson

With a kindness of heart he had a thousand gentle ways.... And he was a Yeiser For That Time
and Place

When I began a quest to write the Civil War adventures of The Cherokee Artillery of Rome, Georgia I did not know who James Garrard Yeiser was. In the limited words allotted here I cannot explain completely this compulsion to find why, if he left such a legacy for this community, he would be almost completely left out of its historical writings.

It did not take me long to become deeply involved in searching the personality of the man who set this famous artillery unit into motion during the cruel times of the early 1860's.

How strongly he molded the fighting spirit of young men, cared for their personal needs, and became a true leader. The respect given him by his men and those around him radiated from the battlefield to the home front. He continuously received the plaudits of the citizens of Rome. The admiration for this man was almost overwhelming. I find that it continued until his death some 30 years later.

Why Had History Passed Him By?

In death his mark was written. The newspapers headlined the obituary of James G. Yeiser for three days. It displayed open and passionate respect for him and editorialized that "there was a great big warm heart in his bosom." Being eulogized with another local veteran of the both the Mexican and Civil Wars the editor goes on to state: "And then, again, somehow or other or some how else I have always felt when in the presence of Col. Yeiser and Capt. John Perkins, like taking off my hat. Since boyhood these two old veterans have been heroes to my eyes." The lead story read that "no more imposing funeral ceremony and pageant, has ever been witnessed in this city, than that which attended the last sad rites over the remains of that gallant old hero and generous hearted gentleman, Col. J.G. Yeiser, this afternoon."

One story, concluding the description of the graveside ceremonies went on to say: "J.G. Yeiser's courage, loyalty, and generosity were often been put to the test, they were never found wanting. Diligent and tireless in his business, princely in his hospitality, a devoted husband, a considerate father, and a broad-minded neighbor. His memory will be kept green by all who knew him, peace to his ashes."

On that day the old and gray haired members of the Confederate Veterans organization, which he formed and was its Commander, attended in mass along with many of the surviving members of the Cherokee Artillery.

St. Peters Episcopal Church, which James had been a member since 1859, could not seat the large gathering that appeared for the funeral, and it became necessary to move the solemn ceremonies to a larger church. Even then people from the town and countryside would stand in the streets. Not one store in town remained open for an hour before or after the funeral services. Church bells all across town tolled.

The procession of veterans, cadets, Lodge members, and citizens, which had begun to gather at 10 o'clock on that morning, formed a line most of one-half miles. This Kentucky Son was to make his noble mark on a small northeast Georgia community which, when fully understood, was a contribution made in the finest Yeiser tradition.

James Garrard Yeiser, named for James Garrard a past Governor of Kentucky, was born to Captain Frederick Yeiser (1782-1845) and Lucinda "Lucy" Bradford (1783-1873) on September 7, 1826 in Danville, Kentucky. Thus, a continuation of the Fredrich C. Jayser (1723-1762) line through Philip Yeiser (1754-1833).

Raised under the influence of the early and carefree days of Danville James attended Centre College and was thought to be drawn under the spell of his older brother-in-law Alexander Scott McGrority who probably introduced him to the druggist business in his teens. Possibly he was also influential in introducing James to his earliest military training. Scott had been a Captain of a local military company.

At the age of 19, just after the death of his father, James enlisted in company D, Second Kentucky Regiment, which served in the Mexican War. This young lad even then carried some noticeable military bearing as his peers quickly voted him to the rank of Sergeant.

This service was to be brief. He was discharged due to a disability on August 14, 1846 in New Orleans where he was recovering.

One reminder of this service remains in a copy of a daguerreotype which is now lost to time and its elements. It portrays the young Sergeant Yeiser in his uniform and holding a sword.

Records of James activities then become vague. It is said he returned to Danville, where his mother was still living, and again becoming exposed to the druggist business.

The next record of him is his marriage to Ellen Araminta Marshall, the daughter of Charles Louis Marshall. This occasion occurred on February 24, 1853 in New Orleans. Though there were indications that the couple had other plans as to where they would make their home, by the end of the year they were in Savannah, Georgia as indicated by the birth of their first child.

The reasons for their relocating to Savannah remain a mystery to this researcher at the moment. By 1858 they had relocated to Rome, Georgia where Colonel Yeiser had entered into the druggist business.

No time was lost in establishing himself in the community as by 1860 he was running for a position on the City Council. He lost the election by five votes, which indicates that his presence was making an initial impact to the local citizens.

By January of that year he and others were corresponding with the governor of Georgia regarding what branch of service a new militia unit they were forming would be. By August they had formed the Cherokee Artillery. It has been suggested that during his stay in Savannah that he was a member of the famed Chatam Artillery, also a state militia unit.

The Cherokee Artillery was so overburdened with talent that by the end of the War there would be one General, a Colonel (James), five Majors, one Regimental Surgeon, four Captains, and eight Lieutenants from the original seventy-six men.

Leaving for war in May of 1861 the unit would spend time in Virginia where James would be personally knocking on the doors of the Confederate War Department for more modern armaments for his group.

The Cherokee Artillery would be destined to distinguish itself by its service in East Tennessee, the Battle of Champion Hill, Bakers Creek, and the defense of Vicksburg. Colonel Yeiser would lead them for one year before being promoted Major and commanding a new artillery battalion under his close friend General Kirby Smith.

In Tennessee James made a name for himself for his ability to lead his men into battles, which were actions that "saved the day", as General Smith often said.

The unit was transferred to Mississippi in December of 1862 to prepare for the defense of Vicksburg and the Mississippi River.

In January of 1863 James received an urgent call to return to Georgia to assist in the manufacture of gunpowder. By the influence of the Governor of Georgia he was released from active service and was soon home again defending his cause in a different manner. But not for long.

Union raids into Georgia soon made his return to uniform more important. With the rank of Colonel he was charged by the Government of Georgia to form a defense of Northeast Georgia. Through the building of fortifications and recruiting newly formed Legions he again, and quickly, drew the praise of Generals.

With wars end a new rebuilding of the south would require a special breed of men. James was quickly involved in the reconstruction of a town which Sherman had put the torch to in November of 1864.

Highlights of the final thirty years of the life of Colonel Yeiser is embedded in the life of his community.

One has to read every newspaper published in Rome, Georgia for those years to piece together all of his activities yet there was none, which were of importance, that he was not involved in.

Advertisements of his drug business fill those pages and it is easy to follow him as he moved his location up and down the main street. Business partners came and went yet he remained the dependable help to anyone in need.

Advertisements ranged from patient medicines, dyes, flower and grass seeds, hardware, perfumery, fancy goods, paints, turpentine, window glass, and even paint brushes. If it were to be merchandised James was sure to carry it in his shops.

In later years, in business with his son William, he sold prescription drugs complimented with stationery, and musical instruments. And when this did not keep them busy they manufactured soda and mineral waters. From this stand came "Yeiser's Famous Cherokee Bitters."

There were few civic functions or organizations that James was not involved in as the small town slowly progressed from the Reconstruction years into some prosperity.

Most importantly, he was a member of school boards, helped established the first library in Rome, and was a member of the first Chamber of Commerce.

The early political fires that he displayed in the elections of 1860 continued. Although he did not hold an office he was often an unseen participant within the Democratic Party and a delegate to many of its state functions.

He was instrumental in the establishment of the greater Rome Monumental Association which held fairs and fund-raisers to obtain memorials for the Civil War days. The results of these beginnings can be seen in this cities historic monument. Though the stonework has since been removed from their prominence on the towns main street, they are now placed within view of his grave.

Social gatherings were commonplace at the home he and Ellen Araminta had established on a hill overlooking the city. It was called "Rose Terrace". On many occasions honored visitors to his home were announced in the local paper and it was the social event to be invited for an introduction.

Every life he had come in contact with he had touched with kindness. Everywhere between the scenes of what is written here are countless deeds. It is difficult to be brief about this man. Many exploits will wait for another time. In two more years he will have been resting for 100 years. Time has but quietly placed him in the background.

There will be somewhat of a celebration of history when this story is finally completed. James Garrard Yeiser will be remembered.
All Rights and Copyright Reserved For Bob Anderson and Landmark Research - Rome, Georgia

Oct l3th.l863
Major General Howell Cobb:
Atlanta, Geo.
Pursuant to your request, I herewith enclose you a list of organizations, so far as formed, with the names of Officers and dates of commissions in Confederate Service for local defense. The only Commissions for Regiments or Legions direct from this Office were issued as follows:
Col. James G. Yeiser (Legion) Floyd Co. 4 Aug l863

Charles Frederick Yeiser

Crippled from birth