Terry Mason's Family History Site
Major lines: Allen, Beck, Borden, Buck, Burden, Carpenter, Carper, Cobb, Cook, Cornell, Cowan, Daffron, Davis, Downing, Faubion, Fauntleroy, Fenter, Fishback, Foulks, Gray, Harris, Heimbach, Henn, Holland, Holtzclaw, Jackson, Jameson, Johnson, Jones, King, Lewis, Mason, Massengill, McAnnally, Moore, Morgan, Overstreet, Price, Peck, Rice, Richardson, Rogers, Samuel, Smith, Taylor, Thomas, Wade, Warren, Weeks, Webb, Wodell, Yeiser.
1Bowen, Fanny Corey & Bowen, Joseph Whitney, Bowen, The Descendants of John Bowen, Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1986, p.17, US/CAN Film 1321114 Item 2. Original Published (Fall River, Mass.) J.W. Bowen 1941, 182 p. "... from the Town of Freetown in 1803, but Abraham Bowen who had visited Troy, N. Y. thought he saw a resemblance between the two places and in 1804 persuaded his fellow townsmen to change the name from Fall River to Troy. Troy it remained until 1833, but Fall River or "Falls River" seems also to have been used some time during this period.
Also a part of Fall River was in Rhode Island, the State line running not far south of what is now the centre of the City, but in 1862 the boundary was changed so the present city of Fall River, Mass., included what was formerly Fall River, R. I. and a section of Tiverton as well.
Abraham Bowen resided at the north-east corner of Main and Bedford Streets and his farm extended from the Bay on the West to Watuppa Pond on the east. He was a promoter of one of the first cotton mills built in Fall River, the Fall River Manufactory, formerly called the White Mill, organized with a capital of $40,000 and erected In 1813 and in the absence of banks the funds collected for this purpose (in the form of silver dollars) were kept in his tall clock. This clock is now in the possession of a descendant.
At that period there was no public house of entertainment in Fall River. Abraham Bowen's house was centrally located, and he and his wife freely entertained clergymen and other persons of consequence who had occasion to visit the town.
The Pocasset Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1822 with Abraham Bowen one of the original stock holders."
Mary Ann Borden
John Luther Borden