Terry Mason's Family History Site
Major lines: Allen, Beck, Borden, Buck, Burden, Carpenter, Carper, Cobb, Cook, Cornell, Cowan, Daffron, Davis, Downing, Faubion, Fauntleroy, Fenter, Fishback, Foulks, Gray, Harris, Heimbach, Henn, Holland, Holtzclaw, Jackson, Jameson, Johnson, Jones, King, Lewis, Mason, Massengill, McAnnally, Moore, Morgan, Overstreet, Price, Peck, Rice, Richardson, Rogers, Samuel, Smith, Taylor, Thomas, Wade, Warren, Weeks, Webb, Wodell, Yeiser.
Philipp (Peter) Hitt or Heite
HYPERLINK: [HYPERLINK http://www.geocities.com/corder98045/A1.htm ]in 2001 Tom W. Corder [firstname.lastname@example.org] writes all the following:
Spotsylvania Va. will book A p. 74 June 2, 1724, Peter Hitt stated that he and his wife Elizabeth came to Virginia in April, 1714, and received a certificate for 100 acres of land.
In the Stafford Co. Va. will book 1729-48, Peter Hitt witnessed the will of Joseph "Cowntz" (Cuntze, Coons) dated Oct. 18, 1730.
Fauquier Co. Va. Miscellaneous records p. 5, In 1759 in the suit of Jacob Spilman vs. his mother Mary Gent, Peter Hitt testified as to the division of the Germantown grant among the 12 families in 1729.
Prince Wiliam Co. Va. Deed Book "I", p. 12, Feb. 7, 1745, Harman Fishback in view of a marriage to be solemnized between himself and Mary Noe, widow, deeds to Peter Hitt (apparently in trust) 100 acres where Harman now lives and another 100 acres joining John Rector and Tilman Weaver in Germantown; test, Joseph Martin, William Coarns, John Kemper, George Gent.
Same reference as #4. p. 233. Peter Hitt witnesses a deed Oct. 27, 1746 from Henry Cuntz to Tilman Weaver for 100 acres in Germantown adjoining Peter Hitt and Tilman Weaver, which had been left to Henry by the will of his father, Joseph Cuntz, decd.
Fauquier Co. Va. Deed Book 4, p.178, April 22, 1771, Peter Hitt, Jacob Weaver, Peter Kemper, all of Fauquier Co., and Harman Fishback of Culpepper Co. deed to Tilman Martin 100 acres in Germantown, formerly set apart for the German glebe.
CONFLICT: Investigate christening date of 22 Sep 1662. There might be a generation confict here.
Alternate birth date of Oct 1663.
Message 312 on GenForum by Laura Molina indicates Sophia's last name.
QUESTION: Had marriage date of 1671 which is after children born.
BIRTH: Philip, son of Evan THOMAS.
MARRIAGE: to Sarah HARRISON.
DEATH: His wife survived him. Will dated 9 Sep 1674. Will proved 10 Aug 1675. Will probated 10 Jul 1675, Anne Arundel Co., MD.
"The Thomas Book," by Lawrence B. Thomas, "Thomas of West River, MD," p.27-33.
1621, 17 Dec: A Philip THOMAS in the East India Company's service petitioned for unpaid wages, but his behavior was complained of and he was discharged.
- 1635-1651: Lived in VA. Was transported there with his wife and perhaps one child. (5) Emigrated from Bristol to VA.
Bef. 1650: Philip THOMAS the emigrant formed a business partnership with one Devonshire at Bristol, England, forming the mercantile house of Thomas & Devonshire.
- 1651: Emigrated to Maryland from England. (2) Emigrated to MD from VA as a free adult with his wife and four children. Was a planter. (3,4) Emigrated to MD from Bristol, England. (4) Philip THOMAS came with wife Sarah HARRISON and 3 children, Philip, Sarah and Elizabeth.
- 1651/2, 19 Feb: Granted a patent 500 acres called "Beakely" or "Beckley" on the west side of Chesapeake Bay "in consideration that he hath in the year 1651 transported himself, Sarah his wife, Philip, Sarah, and Elizabeth his children, into this our province." (2) 500 acres in Anne Arundel Co. was surveyed for him in 1651 but not patented until 1658. (4) Granted 500 acres "Beckley" on the west side of the Chesapeake.
- Philip THOMAS is said to have lived on the "Town lands of Severn" on Greenbury's Point at the mouth of the Severn River, which had been settled 1649/50 by about 70 Puritan families from Nansemond, VA under the leadership of Col. Richard BENNETT. THOMAS was supposed to have guarded the sanctuary, which was erected on land adjoining that of Elder DURAND, the Puritan minister. About 5 years later the settlers transferred their lands to Col. BENNETT and moved away. Lived in Anne Arundel Co.. The settlers of Middle Neck Hundred along Chesapeake Bay, north of South River, MD, were Philip THOMAS of "Thomas Point," Capt. William FULLER, Leonard STRONG, Thomas MEERES, Thomas TOLLEY and William JAMES. Upon their surveys stand (1905) Bay Ridge and Arundel-on-the-Bay. Thomas Point at the mouth of South River is named for Philip THOMAS.
- Affiliated himself with the Puritan Party and soon acquired influence among his neighbors. He became one of the Puritan Party's leaders in their conflict with Lord Baltimore, the Proprietary, and his representatives in the province.
- When CROMWELL and the Parliamentary party were strong in England, their sympathizers in MD broke out in open rebellion under Col. Richard BENNETT, and Philip THOMAS, holding a military commission as Lieutenant, was one of their muster in Anne Arundel Co., MD. (3) Lieutenant of Provincial Forces of MD before 1656.
- 1654/5, 25 Mar: The Puritan forces, under Capt. FULLER, defeated Gov. STONE's forces near Providence on the Severn. STONE surrendered under a promise that their lives should be spared.
- 1654/5, 28 Mar: "Capt. FULLER, Wm. BURGESS, Richard EVANS, Leo STRONG, Wm. DURAND, Roger HEAMANS, John BROWN, John CUTTS, Richard SMITH, one THOMAS, one BEDSTONE, Sampson WARREN, Thomas MEARES, and one CROUCH, sat as a Council of War, condemnded a number of the prisoners to die, and executed four of them."
- 1755, After the Battle of the Severn, in which the forces of Lord Baltimore under Gov. STONE were defeated by the Parliamentary forces of the Puritans of Anne Arundel Co., Gov. STONE and most of his party were transported over the Severn River to a fort at Anne Arundel, where they were kept prisoners. After about 3 days, Capt. FULLER, William BURGESS, Richard EWEN, Leonard STRONG, William DURAND, Roger HEAMANS, John BROWNE, John CUTS, Richard SMITH, one THOMAS, and one BESSON, Samson WARREN, Thomas MEARS and one CROUCH sat in a council of war, and there condemned Gov. STONE, Col. John PRICE, Mr. Job CHANDLER, Mr. William ELTONHEAD, Mr. Robert CLARK, Nicholas GEYTHER, Capt. William EVANS, Capt. William LEWIS, Mr. John LEGAT and John PEDRO to die, and not long afterward they sequestered all the estates of those of Lord Baltimore's council and other officers there.
- 1656/7, 20 Mar: Lt. Philip THOMAS was appointed one of six High Commissioners of the Provincial Court, the father of his son-in-law, John MEARS, being another. (2) 1656/7-1657/8, was a member of the Parliamentary Commission. (3) 1656, member of the High Commission governing MD. (2) 1656/7-1657/8: Was a Justice of the Provincial Court.
- 1658-1661: Granted a patent for 100 acres called "Thomas Towne."
- Acquired "Thomas Towne," "The Plains," and "Philip's Addition." On this he erected his homestead, "Lebanon." On his lands stands Thomas Point Lighthouse. His neighbor was Capt. William FULLER, the provincial leader.
- 1658, 22 Capt. William FULLER, Mr. Richard PRESTON, Mr. Edward LLOYD, Mr. Thomas MEERES, Mr. Philip THOMAS and Mr. Samuel WITHERS, delegates from Anne Arundel Co., met with Josias FENDALL at Leonard's Creek, in Patuxent River, to carry out the agreement signed in England in Nov 1657 by Lord Baltimore and Richard BENNETT. They were to meet on the 18th, but arrived 2 days late on account of the stormy season. They secured even greater compromises than BENNETT in England had asked. Of the 6 Puritan representatives in attendance on that day, Capt. William FULLER, Thomas MEARS, Philip THOMAS, and Samuel WITHERS were Friends.
- 1658/9, 24 Mar: When Oliver CROMWELL ordered the revolutionists to return the province to the Proprietary, THOMAS was one of the commissioners to make the surrender. (1) After this he does not seem to have taken an active part in the political affairs of the province.
- 1665: Granted a patent for 120 acres called "Fuller's Poynt" between the Severn and South Rivers. It is now called Thomas Point and is the site of a light house.
- 1666: Returned from a voyage to England.
- 1668: Granted 300 acres called "The Planes."
- 1671, 17 Oct: The Upper House of Assembly of MD consented to a bill for ferries, among them being one over Potapsco River, from Philip THOMAS point in Anne Arundel Co. to Kent Co.
- 1672: Granted 200 acres called "Phillip's Addicion."
- Held numerous patents on unnamed tracts. This land lay mostly in Anne Arundel Co. near what is now known as West River.
- 1673, 17 May: May have been one of the those converted to the Society of Friends by George FOX, the founder of the Quakers, when he preached at a "very large meeting" in West River. The meeting lasted 4 days. A number of the THOMAS family appear on the early records of the Society immediately after this meeting. Became a Quaker by 1657. Joined the Society of Friends under George FOX and gave up political adventures.
- A founder of and a prominent figure in the Herring Creek and the West River Meetings of Friends.
- 1674, 9 Sep: Philip THOMAS made his will. A copy is still preserved at the family seat, "Lebanon," West River, MD. From the will, it appears that he had disposed of much of the land granted to him, only mentioning "Beckley," "Fuller's Poynt" and "The Playns," and his two houses in Bristol, England. The will of Philip THOMAS proved the marriage of his daugter Elizabeth to William COALE Sr. before 1674.
- He provided that any dispute in regard to the settlement of his estate be brought before "the body of Quakers." This provision was a common one amongst Quakers. Philip THOMAS of Anne Arundel Co., MD made his will. To sons Philp and Samuel and their heirs, 500 acres, "The Clifts," in Calvert Co., equally. To daughter Martha, to 3 grandchildren Mary, daughter of John MEERS, Philp and Eliza, children of William COLE, and to the Quakers, personalty. To 5 children, Philip, Samuel, Sarah, Eliza, and Martha, personalty, equally. To wife Sarah, executrix and residuary legatee of estate, including 120 acres, "Fuller's Point," Anne Arundel Co., and 1,200 acres, "The Plains" at Patapsco River, Baltimore Co., the latter tract to pass to son Samuel. Wits. Jno. RICKS, Marmaduke NOBLE.
- 1675, 10 Aug: Will proved, Ann Arundel Co., MD.
- His estate was claimed by his son Samuel THOMAS through a verbal will which Edward TALBOTT resisted. The question was finally decided by the Society in favor of all the heirs. [NOTE: Other sources say this was his mother's will.]
- At his death, his estate included 1,120 acres in Calvert Co., Baltimore Co., and Anne Arundel Co., plus two houses in Bristol, England.
- Had a gold-headed cane and service of silver upon which were the coat of arms of Sir Rhys ap Thomas, K.G., of Carew. The cane is still in the possession of his descendants. The silver was last owned by William THOMAS of Sandy Spring, MD, but has disappeared. It is reported to have been exchanged at a silversmith's in Baltimore by Mrs. THOMAS for plated ware of a newer pattern, and been melted down by the purchaser not long before the Civil War.
- 1690, 13 Sep: John TALBOT claimed an interest in the proceeds of the sale of the two houses in Bristol in right of his wife, Philip's granddaughter, as her share of the whole landed estate.
"The Thomas Book," by Lawrence B. Thomas, "Thomas of West River, MD," p.33. Cites: (a) "Visitation of London" (1634) p.353.
!"Quakers in the Founding of Ann Arundel County, Maryland," by J. Reaney Kelly (Baltimore: Maryland Historical Soc., 1963) p.48, 57, 107-108.
!DEATH: Herring Creek Meeting of 25 Nov 1687 records "Sarah THOMAS is taken away by death."
1673, 17 May: May have been one of the those converted to the Society of Friends by George FOX, the founder of the Quakers, when he preached at a "very large meeting" in West River. The meeting lasted 4 days. A number of the THOMAS family appear on the early records of the Society immediately after this meeting. She was certainly a Quaker, and probably a preacher. A Quaker minister. -1679: Elizabeth RICHARDSON, Sarah FISHBOURNE, Elizabeth TAYLOR, Elizabeth SKIPWITH and Sarah THOMAS of West River Meeting of the Society of Friends attended a half-year Meeting for women at West River. These are the first names to appear in the Minutes of the West River Meeting, Anne Arundel Co., MD. - After her death, her son Samuel claimed all her estates by virtue of a verbal will which he alleged she had made in his favor. This claim was resisted by his brother-in-law, Edward TALBOT, and the West River Meeting of Friends was appealed to, to decide the question. The Meeting decided that although she had expressed a wish that Samuel THOMAS should be sole heir, she had not given legal effect to it, and that the estate should be equally divided between her several heirs.